Title: Senior Editor, Tours/River Cruises
Northstar Travel Group is seeking a Senior Editor, Tours/River Cruises. This position is responsible for covering the tours and river cruise beat for Travel Weekly, the premier business publication serving the travel industry. Ideal candidates must possess
excellent reporting, writing and editing skills. This role will require extensive travel, both to events and on river cruises and tours.
The position is remote and open to candidates based in the United States.
- Reporting and writing breaking news articles, doing research as necessary to write in-depth analyses, producing exclusive enterprise reporting on trends and innovations, writing feature articles, personality profiles and question-and-answer interviews,
all with the goal of serving the information needs of Travel Weekly’s readers.
- Photographing and/or shooting video of people, products and events as required.
- Working with art directors to develop photographic and graphic elements to illustrate articles.
- Working with website editors to produce multimedia presentations using photographs, video and sound.
- Filing digital dispatches to the website when traveling.
- Determining, in consultation with the Managing Editor and News Editor, which of the various industry conferences and events must be attended or otherwise covered.
- Attending and reporting from industry conferences, conventions and events attended.
- Contributing news reports to Travelweekly.com on a daily or as-needed basis.
- Producing a
five-item weekly e-newsletter, populated with previously posted beat-related
or relevant Travel Weekly stories; writing additional brief stories if
five previously posted articles aren’t available; and writing an “Insight:
a brief column offering opinion, insight or analysis about an issue related
to the beat that’s in the news.
- Producing a River Cruise or Tours Section for the print publication, when scheduled. This includes sourcing, writing and editing articles, and assigning section articles in consultation with the Destinations and/or News or Managing Editor.
- Blogging, Tweeting and engaging in other social media for Travel Weekly's readers as required.
- Participating in Travel Weekly podcasts as appropriate.
- Assigning and editing copy from freelancers and other staff writers when necessary.
- Participating in Travel Weekly events, including webinars, awards presentations, virtual and live tradeshows, conferences and other gatherings, as required.
- Representing Travel Weekly at various industry functions, as determined by the Managing Editor and News Editor and, at the discretion of the Editor in Chief, Editor, Managing Editor or News Editor, serving as an occasional commentator to consumer
media about the river cruise or tours business and beat-related news.
- Contributing feeds to roundups and other aggregated staff-written content as required and advising other beat reporters when appropriate.
- Participating in,
and reporting on, or assigning and editing, sailings on river cruises, with an emphasis on newbuilds (orders, construction, maiden voyage, naming etc.), extensively remodeled ships and new and innovative product.
- Participating in, and reporting on, or assigning and editing, tours, with an emphasis on innovative products and itineraries or newly opened destinations.
- Assigning and editing freelance writers, when appropriate, in consultation with the Destinations Editor.
- Performing other related duties as required.
NOTE: This position
requires extensive travel, both to events and on river cruises and tours.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must possess excellent reporting, writing and editing skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter; highly motivated with the ability to work independently without on-site supervision.
- Must be able to juggle many tasks.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Must be proficient in the use of computer technology, including a familiarity with social media.
- Must possess excellent organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Must demonstrate effective problem-solving and management skills.
Related Work Experience:
- 2 to 5 years reporting or business writing experience
Formal Education or
Four-year college degree preferred. Commensurate experience (5+years in a similar role with a travel news outlet) is acceptable.
Please send your cover letter with compensation requirements and your resume to [email protected]. We offer a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and a dynamic and exciting culture.
All Northstar employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate documentation toward the same.
At Northstar we are laser focused on diversity. We embrace, value and champion our employees’ diverse backgrounds and experiences that make them unique. We understand that cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion will make us stronger. We are
a proud equal opportunity employer.